This ad is expired.
Registered Nurse - (Registered Nurse III) - Student Health Services
Job No: 531921
Work Type: Staff
Location: San Francisco
Categories: Unit 2 - CSUEU - Health Care Support, Probationary, Health Professionals, Full Time, On-site (work in-person at business location)
Registered Nurse III
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Student Health Services
This is a one-year probationary position.
Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
Monday through Friday; from 8:00am to 5:00pm
Anticipated Hiring Range
$6,790.00 - $7,000.00 Per Month ($81,480.00 - $84,000.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Registered Nurse (RN) III performs and manages professional nursing care and health maintenance services for Student Health Services (SHS) under the general supervision of the Nurse Clinic Manager. The incumbent directly and indirectly provides patient care by using independent decision-making, judgment, and initiative to perform general and specialized nursing functions, and to plan, organize, direct, and oversee the work of others.
Patient Care - Perform RN patient care and triage per SHS protocols as necessary within the clinic
- As a generalist, determine eligibility of students with disabilities across the disability spectrum by evaluatingdocumentation.
- Use independent decision-making judgment and initiative with regard to diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Triage patients based on a nursing diagnosis through observation of the patient's physical condition and interpretation of information obtained through the patient interview and other sources.
- Formulate patient care plans that provide for direct and indirect nursing care.
- Perform therapeutic measures and nursing services ordered by SHS Physicians (MD) and Nurse Practitioners (NP) including: monitor patient's vital signs and response to therapeutic interventions; evaluate the effectiveness of care plans and modifying treatment plans as needed; administer medications and vaccines by various means including oral, nasal, dermal, inhalation, intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intravenous routes; perform phlebotomy, inserting intravenous (IV) cannulae and administering medications/IV fluids; perform clinical testing including tuberculosis (TB) skin tests, pulse oximetry, electrocardiograms and pulmonary function tests and performing vision; provide treatment including wound care and ear lavage; and perform Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) waived laboratory testing of patient specimens and controls per manufacturers' instructions.
- Act as chaperone during patient exam as needed and requested by patient.
- Support SHS maintenance by: performing basic infection control practices including the immediate initial cleaning and sanitization of blood and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) spills; clean and sterilize equipment and instruments; set up treatment trays, change linen in examination and treatment rooms; monitor clinical refrigerators and freezers to ensure they are operating at required temperatures for the storage of medications and specimens; and maintain adequate levels of clinic medications and supplies.
- Provide first aid (including CPR and use of AED) to students, staff, faculty and visitors.
- Assign tasks (within the assignees' scope of practice) to, and review the work of, clinic support staff including Clinical Assistants (CA) and Medical Assistants (MA).
- Counsel and educate patients as individuals and/or in groups.
- Maintain patient privacy and the security of patient information in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Assist in assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of nursing program(s) to support the SHS needs, including developing nursing standards, protocols, and procedures.
- Provide lead work direction to and evaluate the work of clinic support staff. Lead work direction involves organizing, scheduling and assigning work, training and orienting employees, providing input to employee selection and performance evaluations and project/program planning, implementation and evaluation as directed by supervisor.
- Coordinate daily nursing operations and ensure appropriate staffing levels to meet clinic needs.
- Develop and implement in-service training and special programs such as health lecture series or testing programs in response to the needs of the SHS and SF State campus community.
- Fulfill state and federal requirements regarding mandatory reporting.
- Perform and document daily and weekly SHS equipment checks including instrument calibration.
- Perform and document periodic (monthly/yearly etc.) SHS equipment preventative maintenance.
- Maintain adequate levels of clinic medications and supplies.
- Maintain adequate levels of front office supplies (including medical records).
- Participate in quality assurance and quality improvement activities.
- Participate in and/or co-lead SHS work group (infection control, SHBP, QI, Equity & Inclusion).
- Demonstrate behaviors that are in line with the User-Friendly Principles (P530C) and Principles of Conduct for a Multi-Cultural University (P30D).
- Demonstrate safe work practices for oneself, others and the office environment.
Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of professional nursing principles, methods and procedures; anatomy and physiology applicable to assigned duties; medical supplies and equipment used in nursing practice; and the uses and effects of medications and narcotics. Working knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to registered nursing and the scope of practice limitations of clinic support staff. Possess broader and specialized nursing knowledge that supports the performance of specialized duties in such areas as, but not limited to, triage and assessment, patient counseling, and staffing specialized nursing clinics; broader knowledge of clinic operations and the development and implementation of a nursing program, including procedures and protocols. Possess a working knowledge of effective supervisory methods and techniques; more comprehensive understanding of nursing programs and specialties. Abilities: Ability to effectively apply nursing knowledge and demonstrate proper techniques and skills in performing nursing duties; accurately observe and record symptoms, behaviors, and reactions to treatments in order to make a nursing diagnosis; respond with therapy to treatment reactions; use applicable health center automated systems to perform duties and maintain records and prepare reports; gain the cooperation of patients; analyze emergency situations and take prompt action; maintain patient confidentiality and privacy in compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations; maintain effective working relationships with practitioners and other health center support staff; and be sensitive to and communicate effectively with patients from diverse backgrounds. Ability to provide effective work direction: plan and organize the work of others; assess, plan, develop, implement and evaluate a nursing program which may include one or more nursing specialties or clinics. Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a professional nursing program in an approved school of nursing or by additional preparation as approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Three years of progressively responsible professional nursing experience which has provided evidence of the ability to perform the nursing duties described above and has included administrative and lead responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. License and Certifications: Possess and maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of California and certification in CPR/AED.
Previous experience in college health, public health, or urgent care/emergency room.
- Full-time equivalent of at least three (3) years of experience as an acute care nurse (either hospital-based or outpatient setting) in which supervisory abilities have been demonstrated.
- Demonstrated ability to assess, plan, develop, implement and evaluate nursing program(s) including one or more SHS departments or clinical areas.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze emergency situations and take prompt action.
- Experience with applicable health center automated systems to perform duties and maintain records and prepare reports.
- Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
- Effective communication skills across a variety of venues.
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence.
- Diversity and inclusion.
- Must pass background check which includes fingerprinting.
- Possess and maintain a valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.
- Possess and maintain a valid Basic Life Support/Automated External Defibrillator Certificate (CPR/AED).
Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee.
CSUEU Position (For CSUEU Positions Only)
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
CSU strongly encourages faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process are encouraged to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/sf/en-us/job/531921/registered-nurse-registered-nurse-iii-student-health-services
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency